Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sample Artist Statement

In digital media class I created a silhouette collage. This assignment required me to take an actual silhouette photo. I then used Photoshop to add images that define the meaning of happiness to me. When Paul introduced the project to me I began thinking of the different images I could use and a position for my actual silhouette that would help define happiness. My intent was to have an image that included all the important things in my life as well as the fun stuff.


To start this project I worked with Smitty to take a photo using a digital camera. We used the white backdrop and two lights. The lights were placed behind me to create the bright background and the darkened silhouette of my body. I chose to do a hand stand because I am most happy when I’m upside down. I took about six pictures before I got one that was perfect.

To make the initial photo a perfect silhouette I had to make some adjustments using Photoshop. I used the levels tool to darken my body and lighten the background, then I used the magic wand to to select the body and blacken it. By darkening the body with the levels tool I was able to easily select it using the magic wand. I then selected the white background and I copied and pasted it in order to create a new layer. I now was ready to start inserting images.

I gathered my images and began pasting them between my two initial layers. I used a soft eraser brush to fade out the corner and edges of the images and blend them together. Each image was a new layer so I had to be careful to place the correct images on top of each other. Some images I didn’t blend, instead I just placed them on top of other images. I then used a dissolve paint brush to spay the outside of the silhouette to help emphasize the silhouette. Finally I found a series of quotes and and lyrics that define happiness in others words. I used Helvetica font in a variation of sizes and boldness to give it a uniform yet bold look.

No comments:

Post a Comment